One easy way to compress a PDF file is by using a .ZIP file. A .ZIP file compresses data into a folder that’s easy to share, email, and store. Here’s how to do it:
- Put all of the PDF documents you want to compress (or just one) into a new folder.
- Right click on that folder.
- Select the “Send To” option and then click “Compressed (Zipped) folder.”
- A new .ZIP file will be created that contains your document(s).
You can then attach the .ZIP file to your email and send to others. On the receiving end, your contact will receive the .ZIP file. They’ll need to download that file and then click “Extract.” This will restore the file to its original size and allow them to open the files contained within and view it as normal.
Disadvantages of Compressing a PDF Using a .ZIP File
Using a .ZIP file has a few benefits. After all, it can save up to 80 percent or more in hard disk space. Zipping files also allows you to encrypt private data. However, .ZIP files have some disadvantages:
- First, it may not be possible for your recipient to extract all of the files from the .ZIP file correctly.
- Sometimes, .ZIP files are damaged, which can affect the entire .ZIP file, multiple documents within the folder, or just one file.
- Furthermore, a .ZIP file isn’t a permanent compressing solution. Once your recipient gets the document via email, she’ll need to download the .ZIP file and then extract the information.
- It creates two separate folders on computer, which takes up extra space and causes a bit of a hassle.
Other Options for Compressing a PDF
Adobe Acrobat Pro allows you to optimize your PDF documents easily, right from the Adobe software. If you’re willing to spend more than $25 per month for a month-to-month subscription, here’s how to do it:
- Open the PDF file in Adobe Acrobat.
- Click “Tools” and then “Optimize PDF.”
- Choose “Reduce File Size” from the toolbar.
- Save a copy of the PDF.
Using Adobe Acrobat is quick and easy, but it’s also extremely expensive – especially if you have more than one user who needs to compress documents.
Using our free PDF Converter to compress a PDF couldn’t be simpler. Plus, it’s completely free of charge. Here’s how to use this powerful and impressive tool:
How to Compress a PDF for Free with Our Free PDF Converter
- Select the PDF file that you would like to compress using the easy-to-use selection tool.
- Upload your file to the PDF converter.
- Select options and wait just a few quick moments for the file to compress.
- Download and save your new, compressed PDF to your computer.
You can easily email this new file or store on your computer’s hard drive to save space. You don’t need to deal with the hassle of a .ZIP file, nor will you have to pay a hefty $25 to use the tool. Plus, all of the documents you upload will be deleted off of our servers to ensure your information remains secure.
Benefits of Using Our Free PDF Converter
Our free PDF converter allows you to compress your PDF files for free. Not only does it feature a clean and intuitive interface, it’s also incredibly fast. Even better, it also will never sacrifice the quality of your PDF files. Sometimes, the more you reduce the file size of a document, the more the quality goes down. After a few compressions, your file may be basically unreadable. PDF Converter features compressing algorithms that compresses your file to the optimal amount while also maintaining the highest possible quality.
Don’t worry if you need to send a file that’s too big for your email server. Just compress your PDF files using our free and easy-to-use PDF compression tool, all without sacrificing the quality of your PDF files or dealing with unruly .ZIP files.